The Turkish league is currently under pressure as both fans and players are cicatrizing the league because the league has refused to suspend their league despite the increase and fear of the coronavirus in the world. Turkey remains the European with the virus and still has their league on, their games are being played behind closed doors.
Footballers across Turkey have criticized the government’s decision to continue playing matches behind closed doors. They have been playing their games with empty stadium and although players are complaining about it.
Earlier this week former Nigerian player Mikel Obi terminated his contract with the Turkish side Trabzonspor after he said he does not feel comfortable to play with world been shut-down because of coronavirus. A number of high-profile players have taken to social media to voice their opposition to the latest announcement.
Erdogan who plays for Galatasaray and goalkeeper Fernando Muslera also posted an image on their Instagram story, which showed the social distancing of politicians in Turkey, sat one meter apart in parliament.
However the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) President Nihat Özdemir still says their league will continue in a statement on Tuesday. He said “the league will continue without spectators” until the end of April. The directive was centrally on footballers. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Wednesday told the public to avoid going out unless it was necessary, in the latest measures to contain the virus
Other players are now saying Football has been suspended across Europe, with the top leagues in England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France all cancelling their league until the virus is combated completely, only them are still playing and they are not comfortable any more. Even the Euro2020 which was to hold in June this year was postponed to 2021.
Turkey announced its first death case of coronavirus on Tuesday and had shut down cafes, schools and mosques in attempts to halt the spread of the virus. But the footballers have been told to still continue the league.
The cases of people with the virus rose to 91 on Thursday and yet their sport minister is on the opinion of the player to still continue. It is now a matter of the world to come to their aid as their league management do not want to listen to them.