The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has declared the news going round that football governing body Fifa has placed a ban on Moshood Abiola International Stadium Abuja following the protest that happened in Nigeria vs Ghana game that ended 1-1 as fake news. The protesters destroyed lots of properties in the stadium but no player was hurt.
No Ban was Placed on Abuja Stadium, NFF Clears Air
After the game, some news blogs cried a stream of incorrect reports saying a CAF official was murdered in the protest which turned out to be false, and then saying Fifa has placed a ban on the stadium. NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi said on Friday: “We are alarmed at the influx of incorrect reports, otherwise known as fake news, mostly in the social media.
There is no truth to the reports that the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja has been banned for any length of time by FIFA. It is a concoction by some persons with a fertile imagination. The NFF has not received any such communication from either FIFA or CAF.”
He also said: “There has also been an outlandish report that the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) equipment that was installed for the match had been stolen. We initially thought this was an April Fool prank but it is alarming that some media outlets are taking it seriously. Nothing of such happened. The VAR equipment remains intact and has been returned to the FIFA office in Zurich, Switzerland by Sebastian Runge, FIFA’s Head of Technology.”
Sanusi said both he and the NFF understand that the Nigeria fans were added: “The NFF understands that Nigerians were disappointed with the result and that was why they reacted the way they did even though it was not the best possible way to behave. He said it is a painful situation for everyone, including them at the Federation. However, they are appealing that the propensity for half-truths and outright falsehood be discouraged.