sport

Roger Federer Makes Shocking Decision in French Open

Roger Federer has pulled out of this year’s French Open to protect his body, although he has reached the tournament’s fourth round. The 39-year-old took the decision the day after a gruelling third-round win over Dominik Koepfer. He was due to play Italian ninth seed Matteo Berrettini on Monday.

Roger Federer Pulls Out of French Open Due to Injury

The information about Rodger Federer’s withdrawer was made known by the French Open organisers. They released a statement that said: ”After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation, it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery.”

Roger Federer Makes Shocking Decision In French Open 1
Roger Federer Makes Shocking Decision in French Open 3

The tennis player said: “After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of Roland-Garros today.” “I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on the court.”

Federer, who won the French Open in 2009, had two knee surgeries last year and had played only three matches in 16 months before arriving in Paris. He has made no secret that his priority for this year is Wimbledon, which starts on 28 June; perhaps that’s why he has decided to rest his body now.

His last game, which was against Koepfer, was a lengthy encounter that finished at 00:43 local time, and Federer occasionally looked uncomfortable, lacking fluency in a 7-6 (7-5) 6-7 (3-7) 7-6 (7-4) 7-5 victory. He had already suggested straight after the match that he would withdraw if playing will risk his knee and that he has done after due consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
EveryEvery We would like to show you notifications for the latest news and updates.
Dismiss
Allow Notifications