Chelsea and England winger Raheem Sterling is set to return to Qatar before Saturday’s World Cup quarter-final against France. The 28-year-old player flew back to England on Sunday after his house was attacked. Sterling’s spokesperson said he left the England camp to “prioritise the wellbeing” of his three young children.
Raheem Sterling Returns to England World Cup Squad
He missed England’s 3-0 win over Senegal in the last 16 but is expected to rejoin the squad in Al Wakrah on Friday, 9 December. His representative said his family was at home on Saturday when there were “armed intruders”. The former Liverpool and Manchester City star player was said to be “shaken” and concerned for the wellbeing of his children.
In a statement, Surrey police said they were investigating a report of a burglary after the occupants of the house returned to find jewellery and watches had been taken, but that no threats of violence were involved. On Wednesday, the police said they are not liking the case of another attempted burglary in the same village.
So far there have not been any arrests made in relation to the break-in at Sterling’s home. The Football Association is yet to reveal exactly what it was told about the incident before Sterling’s departure.