An unnamed Bournemouth player has tested positive to coronavirus ahead of the league resumption which comes up on the 12th of June with all things working as planned. The Bournemouth player is one of two new coronavirus cases to have been found in the latest round of Premier League tests taking the overall total to eight now.
The Cherries said the player’s identity will not be disclosed but will place the player in seven days self-isolation. The other positive cases were recorded in different clubs with Watford having two cases and the players are not named except for Jamaican defender Andrian Mariappa. The tests took place on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of last week, and it was recorded that a total of 996 players and club staff were tested and seven cases came out positive.
According to a statement made by the club, it says: “Following strict adherence to the Premier League’s return to training regulations, the club’s training ground remains a safe working environment for players and backroom staff, who will continue to be tested for Covid-19 twice per week.”
The first round’s results announced on 19th of May saw six positive at three clubs from the 748 players and staff tested. The second round of testing increased from 40 to 50. Squads started non-contact training from Tuesday for the first time since the Premier League was suspended on 13 March because of the coronavirus pandemic, with 92 fixtures remaining.
Speaking on Friday, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said the league was “as confident as we can be” about restarting in June. Only the German Bundesliga has resumed in the whole of Europe and the Spanish La Liga sides are looking to join in the resumption as they have resumed training properly.