The body of former Chelsea, Newcastle and Bournemouth Ghanian footballer Christian Atsu, who died after an earthquake hit Turkey two weeks ago, has been taken to his native home in Ghana. The flight which took the body landed in Accra late on Sunday, and his coffin was carried away by members of Ghana’s armed forces.
Christian Atsu’s Dead Body Returns to Ghana
Atsu was found dead on Saturday in his home in southern Turkey. He had been playing for the Turkish club Hatayspor club. The winger played 65 games for Ghana’s national team and helped his side reach the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations final.
The 31-year-old also played for Premier League sides Everton, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Newcastle. Speaking at Kotoka airport in the capital Accra, Ghana’s Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia said: “We hoped against hope, every day that passed, we prayed and prayed. But alas, when he was found, he was no more.”
Mr Bawumia also said the late footballer was much loved and would be sorely missed. “It is a painful loss, a very painful one.” He promised Atsu would be given a “befitting” burial. Over 44,000 people are confirmed dead and many still missing across south-eastern Turkey and northern Syria.