sport

Antonio Conte Decides his Future with Tottenham

Tottenham head coach Antonio Conte has decided he will remain as Tottenham head coach next season. There had been doubting over the Italian staying on, despite Spurs qualifying for the Champions League he is not sure of his future with the club but he has now concluded that he will remain in the club. However, the news in midweek that owners ENIC were injecting £150m into the club has allayed fears about whether Tottenham would meet Conte’s demands for improvement.

Antonio Conte to Remain at Tottenham

Antonio Conte met the the the director of football Fabio Paratici in Italy on Friday and re-affirmed his commitment to the club. It remains to be seen whether Conte will be willing to extend his contract. The 52-year-old former Chelsea and Inter Milan head coach’s current deal ends in 2023, although the contract does contain an option to extend for a further 12 months.

Antonio Conte Decides His Future With Tottenham
Antonio Conte Decides his Future with Tottenham

Conte was named Tottenham boss in November last year and guided the club to a fourth-place finish in the Premier League. However, he appeared to suggest he was not happy at the club as recently as February, seemingly unhappy with the situation he had inherited.

After losing to Burnley on 22 February – their fourth loss in five Premier League games – Conte said he was frustrated and that “if the problem is the coach I am ready to go”. The manager questioned Spurs’ transfer strategy in an interview although he later said that his comments had been mistranslated. However, Tottenham finished the season strongly, and, after a 3-0 north London derby win against Arsenal on 12 May, he said he was “very happy”.

Back to top button