Friday is the last official working day of the week. All over the world, the acronym ‘TGIF’ which means Thank God is Friday is used to look forward to the weekend by relaxing and partying. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy; Friday is an avenue to free the stress of the week by having a nice time out with friends.
Nigerians are not left out in TGIF. From Enugu to Ikot Ekpenne and the busy city of Lagos, ‘turn up’ is the language for Friday nights. Nigerians party hard to song ditched out by various disc jockeys and mixtapes in cars and homes. The Nigerian entertainment industry is one sector that is not slowing down. Nigerian artistes have done much to keep us grooving despite the hard times.
In this regard, I bring to you 10 TGIF trending songs that are currently enjoying massive airplay in this part of the world. Gone are the days we jam Western songs, today Nigerians have taken over. Here are the top 10 trending songs in no particular order
- Risky ( Davido ft. Popcaan): This song by the DMW boss is one you’ll want to groove to. After dropping hits such as ‘ Blow My Mind’ with Chris Brown, Davido again features the vocals of Jamaican patois crooner, Popcaan on this one. Everything about this song is just ‘risky’. You can’t just stop bouncing to the beat produced by Speroach Beatz as the artistes on this one dropped some heavy bars as you celebrate TGIF.
- Pak ‘n’ Go ( Kizz Daniel): Kizz Daniel has had a pretty good year. He has served us with mad jams and dance moves. This time, the Flyboi Inc. head honcho dishes out a club banger produced by serial hit-maker, DJ Coublon. Kizz was on his usual best on this one as he served us with a humorous and melodious tune. This one will definitely be on your replay mode.
- Billionaire ( Teni): Who else doesn’t want to be a billionaire? The Doctor Dolor entertainment music princess and award-winning songstress came through with ‘Billionaire’. It was her third official single of the year and the lead single off her forthcoming EP tagged with the same title. ‘ I wanna be a billionaire, billionaire yee’ is a quotable lyric from the new tune from Teni Makanaki.
- Beginning ( Joeboy): If you think ‘Baby’ by Joeboy was the end, then ‘Beginning’ is just the beginning of greater things to come from the Banku Music talented singer. This one is for the lovers because as you listen to this song, you’ll definitely begin to fall in love. Renowned hit-maker, Killerrtunes is on this one to make you groove.
- Anybody (Burnaboy): This list is incomplete without the rave of the moment & African giant, Burnaboy. ‘Anybody’ was released sometimes in June and has become the new jam on the street and on air. A pure sample of Afrobeats at it’s best is this sound produced by Rexxie. The visual of this song is also out of this world. Burnaboy has performed ‘Anybody’ in most of his concerts this year and can’t stop to move our body with his awesome vibes just as he did on ‘Ye’.
- Gbeku ( Zlatan ft. Burnaboy): The previous collaboration of these two, ‘Killin’ Dem’ was the biggest song of last year. The energy of these two artistes made them have good chemistry and therefore serve us with another thrilling song with a new dance step from the stables of the Zanku crooner, Zlatan. Burnaboy is definitely the man of the year as he dropped melodious vocals on this one.
- Joro (Wizkid): This is another sample of Afro-beats on the list. ‘Joro’ is the much-anticipated single from Starboy Wizkid. The song is a radio and club-friendly banger targeted to spearhead Wizkid’s massive upcoming body of work, “ Made in Lagos”. Joro is produced by Northboi and it’s a jam for the ladies. You can’t but bounce to this one by the African Starboy.
- Audio Money (Rudeboy): The message on this music relates to the situation of things in our society; people flaunting on social media while they suffer in real life. The other half of P-Square, Rudeboy serves us with this banger. ‘Audio Money’s is now a trending phrase on social media. It is about people who ‘talk without doing’ . You have to relax and enjoy this one.
- 49-99 (Tiwa Savage): African number one bad girl is on this one. The ROC Nation artiste, Tiwa Savage came through with this great tune. The meaning of 49-99 was traced to an Old Fela song about suffering and smiling, 49 sitting and 99 standing in the popular “Molue” bus in Lagos. According to Tiwa Savage, the song has a touch of Olamide and Pheelz as co-writers while the latter also produced the beat on this one. It’s a trending song everywhere you go in the land.
- Bad Commando (Rema): Headies Next-rated award winner completes the top 10 with the song ‘Bad Commando’. Many of us still have ‘Dumebi’ and ‘ Iron Man’ on our playlist, our speakers and earlobes aren’t resting with this new one from the Mavin’s fast-rising artist. This song has Rema’s unique imprint on it and has got the sound that will hypnotize you and get you to fall.
Feel free to add your TGIF list to this one in the comment section. Thanks for taking the time in reading this piece.