New Year’s Resolution is what you hear people talk about especially in a period like this. When you tune to your radios and TVs you will definitely hear presenters hammering on this word as people tends to say one or two things about it. You will think you are not in the planet if you’re not involved in discussions like this. We just want to have a say no matter what.
New Year’s Resolution
New Year’s Resolution is a promise a person makes to oneself for the New Year. The promise could be made in the last month of the year as individuals approach the New Year or at the beginning of the New Year. Regardless of what you are planning, the goal is to improve life in the coming year.
This New Year’s resolution can come in many forms. It could be a promise to change a bad habit such as smoking, improving on one’s physical fitness by eating less junk food, quitting late night walk, and many more. It could also be a promise to improve a positive habit, such as starting an exercise program, promises to improve on saving, involving in charity work, and so on.
How New Year’s Resolution came to be
The tradition of New Year’s Resolution came to be as early as 153 B.C. The month of January is named after Janus, a mythical god of the Romans. Janus is said to have two faces- one looking forward and the other backward. This allowed him to look back on the past and forward to the future.
The last day of the previous year (December 31) is used by the Romans to look back into the old year and forward to the New Year. This became a symbolic time for Romans to make their promises. They also give gifts along with their promises, believing Janus would see this and bless them in the New Year. This has been the practice since then among people worldwide.
5 Categories of People You’ll see on New Year’s Resolution
- Those who are not involved in the belief system: These are the people who don’t believe in New Year’s resolution as a subject matter. They believe there’s no need to take stock of anything since they don’t believe anything like New Year; as for them, January is just a continuation of life and a mere calendar drafted by fellow beings. So, there’s no point of making any promises but live life as it comes.
- Those who believe but don’t make resolutions: Many don’t see any reason to making promises for the New year even though they believe it’s a new phase. They believe there’s no point in reviewing a life that is not promised till eternity so just live life the way it is. To them, this is just a word to make up the encyclopedia.
- Those who make resolution at the beginning of every year: These people take new year resolution as a norm. just like Janus, they look back at the old year and take stock of what they assumed to have held them back from reaching their dreams and aspirations. Some even write and paste them in their rooms to walk with it throughout the year even though it may fade out before the dawn.
- Those who make resolutions but fall by the way: Many are in this category. They may make it through the first month but fades out as they continue in the year. They are either forced to change by situations around them or majorly as a result of indiscipline. Once they break the resolution, they continue with their life and look forward to another resolution in the coming year.
- Those who make resolution and stand by it: These categories of people are very few. They make promises and also stand by it. They really see a need to do this. They are pushed by a particular force to keep going. For example, someone who wants to take part in exercise program as a result of body shaming. They can’t just stop until they get the perfect shape and make sure they eat less junk foods. They go extra miles in making sure their promises are not just a mere word muttered in the lips but one that have to do with their total commitment and focus.
What is your New year’s resolution?
You are definitely going to be in any of these categories up here. Let’s have your resolutions and how you plan to run through it and that’s if you believe in it as a review-mechanism for one’s life.
Do share your thoughts and opinions on this topic in the comment section. thanks for taking time in reading this piece.