In-law drama is a big deal in almost every society. Everyone wants to impress their prospective in-laws. It is normal to want to be on their good book considering the role they played in the life of your significant other. This is usually smooth at the beginning but reduces after sometime.
There might be conflict of interest and tussle for attention, time and material things. This usually leaves every party sad and bitter if not handled properly.
But there are ways to curtail these excesses. Here are some of them:
- Be on the same page with your spouse. Both parties in the marriage experience this in-law drama. One way to keep them checked is to be on the same page with your partner. If anyone comes close and discovers that the two-people involved speak with same voice, understanding and agreement, there will be less interference.
- Ensure to visit them regularly as much as you can. One of the main reasons this rivalry arises is when one in-law party begins to feel neglected or not loved enough. You could curtail this by ensuring you share the visiting time equitably and show the both families love as much as you can.
- Make sure they get visits from the grandchildren. That way they can feel loved and wanted and would do anything not to lose that privilege of spending time with them. You can even make do with some extra time for yourself too.
- Embrace their Interests. They are not asking you to live their lives for them. The least you can do is not to cancel of their ideologies and interests and try to accommodate them as much as possible.
- Seize thinking of them as evil. A lot of movies and stories have corrupted the minds of any people to think in-laws are enemies. If you have this kind of mindset, you will find yourself fighting evils that do not exist. One way to go is to think of them as loving as you would want them to be. That will help shape your ideas and opinions about them. It will further help with your actions towards them.
Bearing in mind that these are just but few tips on how to avoid the drama, feel free to apply whatever works for you. Ultimately make sure you enjoy relationships like these as life is to be enjoyed with people you love.