Nigerians are talented people, as much as there are many talents in the Nigerian film industry (Nollywood), there are several foreign based film actors that has been on top of their games in recent times.
These film actors of Nigerian descent are popular in movies produced both in the United States and the United Kingdom. It will surprise you to find out some of these actors are of Nigerian descent even though they are also citizens of the foreign nations.
7 Nigerian Foreign Based Film Actors
Here are 7 of foreign based Nigerian film actors you need to know.
- John Boyega: Born in the United Kingdom to Nigerian parents, John Adegboyega popularly known as John Boyega is a movie star. He has featured in many top movies which include ‘Starships’, and also Chimamanda Adichie’s Nollywood movie ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’.
- David Oyelowo: British actor, David Oyelowo was born in Oxford, the United Kingdom to Nigerian parents. His father id from Oyo State while the mother is from Edo State, Nigeria. David has featured in many movies among which is a role as Martin Luther King Jr. in the movie ‘Selma’. He also featured in ‘Queen of Katwe’ as a chess coach as well as a Nollywood movie titled ‘Black November’.
- Nonso Anozie: Nonso is a top actor of Igbo descent, Nigeria born in England. He played the role of ‘Tank’ in the Hollywood movie ‘RocknRolla’. Nonso also played the role of Ugandan President, Idi Amin in the movie ‘7 Days in Entebbe’ as well as many top movies.
- Sophie Okonedo: Sophie is a Hollywood actress of Nigerian and Jewish descent. She was born in the United States. Sophie has acted in top movies like ‘Young Soul Rebels’, ‘Dirty Pretty Things’ and Will Smith’s movie titled ‘After Earth’.
- Sope Dirisu: Born in Edgware, London. Sope Dirisu is a British actor of Yoruba descent. He made his name in the movie ‘Sand Castle’ and ‘Criminal’. He also played the role of Elliot Flinch in the series ‘Gangs of London’.
- Jude Akuwudike: Jude was born in Nigeria but studied in the United Kingdom. He studied acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in the UK. He featured in the theatre ‘World Apart’ and also acted in the series ‘Gangs of London’.
- Uzoamaka Aduba: Uzo Aduba as she’s famously known is an American actress of Nigerian descent. She was born in Massachusetts, the United States to Igbo parents. She played a lead role in the movie ‘Orange Is the New Black’ as well as top movies like ‘Crazy Eyes’ and ‘The Beats’.
You can add to this list of foreign-based actors of Nigerian descent in the comment section. Thanks for reading this piece.