How was the process like before your first time flying on a plane in a place such as Nigeria? Would you say the experience was unimaginably stressful or delightful?
Whatever the case might have been, the purpose of this article is to assist those who are yet to patronize the air transport system for the first time. It will provide the requisite knowledge to guide you through the entire process.
Before making any irrational decision that would cost you irrecoverable resources, ensure you ask the right questions and avoid utilizing the services of incompetent agents (third party assistance) in areas you are capable of handling yourself.
Flying on a Plane in Nigeria
- The first thing that comes to play is to ensure booking your plane ticket right before the scheduled date for the trip.
Booking ahead is really important because the possibility of getting a ticket on the day of your trip is almost impossible, which is why as a serious-minded person, it is advised that you strive to make a prior seat reservation to avoid narrating stories that touch.
Make sure you hold your Booking Pass while boarding the plane, and have it printed at the airport. If you so wish, carry out an online transaction earlier before getting to the airport. It serves the same purpose. The boarding pass contains information like the time and date of departure, name, etc. To print your boarding pass, you’d have to provide a means of identification to enable you to print a boarding pass.
- Secondly, as ordinary as it may sound, it is essential that you compile all the needed documents before taking any other step.
What you really need in this case is your means of identification ranging from your passports, plane ticket, visa and any other related papers.
For it would be noteworthy to state here that failure to have any of the previously mentioned documents can lead to you missing your trip in the sense that it’s either cancelled or postponed. And this is a bad flight experience for a first-timer.
Supposing you hope to successfully pass through this critical process, the step is to list prioritized activities only related to the flight and ensure to place your documents in a place to remember easily.
- Nigerians are known around the world to pack heavy luggage whenever they intend to travel. The wise thing to do in this third phase is not to do too much and avoid by all means necessary to reduce the number of bags when boarding a flight.
It’s rather sensible moving around with the sum of money that would take care of your needs when heading to your destination, than loading your luggage with any and everything you think of carrying.
The airport authorities would first weigh your luggage to ensure it doesn’t exceed the stipulated weight. Even if it does surpass the standard gauge, it will attract extra charges or channels to a separate space, cargo, or other storage possibilities.
Important in this aspect is to know the category under which your luggage type fits. There are Personal Items, Carry-On and Hold Luggage.
While the Hold Luggage is usually placed in a distant position from the passenger at the airport check-in desk for proper scrutiny, the Personal Items include gadgets and belongings in possession of the owner such as phones, wristwatches, laptops or tabs, mini-purses, handbags and other related valuables. The Carry-On Luggage is placed in the aeroplane cabin right above the head of the passenger.
- Make attempts to get abreast with the airport terminals, mainly the Arrival and Departure Terminals. There are also two distinct travel wings: Domestic and International Wings.
These portals are described as the names imply. The domestic wing is for local trips, while the international branch is for foreign travel.
- Every individual carries different characteristics. Some people will indeed suffer zero side effects on a flight, for others, the story may be entirely opposite. The best step to take in such a situation is to drink water and other consumables moderately.
Ask questions and endeavour to locate the restroom. If you feel nauseated when travelling, ensure to carry a little paper sack because you never know when you will puke. On the other hand, you can quickly rush to the convenience room for the same action.
- Although it was not part of the intentions of this piece to address the conducts of some of our security personnel stationed at the checkpoints of the airport, but set your mind that you are definitely going to encounter officers demanding you for appreciations in cash or kind.
The piece of advice I have for you is to make efforts to avoid carrying any incriminating item. As long as you are free of any contraband, stand your ground and refuse to pay any illegal requests to these greedy officers.
And finally, but not conclusively, if available, kindly pick up any pamphlet containing relevant information or instructions on coping methods during flights. Glance through it and make sure to follow the directives religiously.
For those that must have embarked on one trip or several via air transport, please don’t hesitate to drop your comments to help expand the horizons of persons yet to experience the journey.