One of the popular captions you would see on social media particularly on Wednesdays is #wcw. WCW is an acronym that means “Women Crush Wednesday”. It is a popular hashtag that began on Twitter in 2013 as a way to tag posts about women that people admire or find attractive. It has since spread to other social networks like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Tumblr.
In this regard, I bring to you two Nigerian women that are making waves at the moment.; Kiki Mordi and Mercy ‘Lambo’ Eke. These two young and beautiful Nigerian ladies are the names trending on social networks and the news in Nigeria today.
Kiki Mordi, a journalist became a heroine as she uncovered the cases of male lecturers demanding sex from their female students in exchange for grades. This led to the trending #sexforgrades hashtag on Twitter which has seen many Nigerians including public figures and celebrities having a say on the depressing issue in the society.
Mercy Eke, on the other hand, won the just-concluded Season 4 of the Big Brother Nigeria Reality TV Show. She became the first female winner and has since received her N60M prize. Her name is still on the lips of Nigerians with celebration been held on her behalf in Owerri, the Imo state capital where she hails from.
Here are 10 things to know about our Women Crush (WCW) for today:
- She is a Nigerian journalist born in Port Harcourt, Rivers state.
- Kiki was born on the 12th of August, 1991
- She works for BBC Africa as Africa Eye Reporter and BBC World Service as a radio presenter.
- She also works as a radio presenter on Women Radio 91.7FM where topics such as rape, women’s rights are being discussed.
- Apart from being a journalist, Kiki is also a filmmaker and storyteller.
- According to her, she gained admission into one of Nigeria’s prestigious universities after she lost her dad and had her eye fixed on being a medical doctor through the toils of her mother.
- She dropped out of school due to sexual harassment by a lecturer in the university. This she also mentioned in a tweet on her Twitter page.
- This event led her to embark on the course to give respite to vulnerable students who are sexually being abused by lecturers in West Africa.
- Her fresh documentary dubbed ‘Sex for Grades’ was released on the 7th of October 2019 by BBC following extensive research and has since generated views across the country and other West African countries.
- Kiki Mordi is single.
Read also: Nigerian Women Can Build Good Tech Too
- She is a video vixen and a businesswoman from Owerri, Imo state.
- Born September 29th, 1993.
- Her popular nicknames are Lamborghini and Queen of Highlights.
- While in the Big Brother’s House, her closest friends were Ike and Diane.
- She is the first-ever female winner of Big Brother Nigeria.
- She was involved in a verbal attack that had her hair pulled and led to the disqualification of her main threat in the Big Brother’s House.
- Mercy alleged that Emmanuel Emenike, a Nigerian footballer dumped her.
- She emerged winner of the 2019 Big Brother Nigeria season with 41.77% votes after four attempts.
- Mercy went home with a cheque of N30M and also received various gifts and incentives valued at N30M.
- She plans to start her own fashion brand with the money won.
Give it up!
You can keep crushing on our Women Crush (WCW) for the week. Let’s have your views on this topic as well as your choice between the two in the comments section. Thanks for your time.