Gospel music singers are those who proclaimed the teachings of Jesus Christ through music. Nigeria is a very religious country and there is a freedom of worship in the black nation. Out of the religions in the country is Christianity and the worshippers called ‘Christians‘ follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Many of these followers, therefore, use gospel songs to get closer to God and thereby increase their spiritual lifes.
Gospel music singers from Nigeria have really touched the lives of many through their music. Worship, which is an essential part of religion is made easier by soul lifting songs especially by the Christians. The Nigerian gospel music singers renders their songs in the English language (including Pidgin English) and their indigenous languages.
There is no better way to improve your spiritual life as a Christian than worshipping, praising, and referencing God in songs; it is even better if you are led by a Nigerian gospel music singer.
Top 5 Nigerian Gospel Music Singers
There are numerous Nigerian gospel music singers who are really doing well out there. Here is a list of 5 of them in no particular order. Your life is sure to be blessed through their music.
- Nathaniel Bassey: One of the top gospel music singers in Nigeria is Nathaniel Bassey. He is a worship leader, recording artist and trumpeter. He sings both in English and Yoruba languages. He is the brain behind the #HallelujahChallenge, where he worships God for an hour, from 12.00am to 1.00am. This event is made popular through the social media has many people joins in the worship challenge. Nathaniel Bassey as a recording artist has popularly known for his songs such as ‘’Onise Iyanu’’, ‘’Olowogbogboro’’, ‘’Imela’’, and so on.
- Frank Edwards: Frank Ugochukwu Edwards is a top Nigerian gospel singer, worship leader, and recording artist. He sings in pidgin, English, and his native Igbo language. As a recoding artist, he has 7 albums to his credit. His 2016 album titled ‘Frankincense’ topped Beyonce’s and Adele’s album within few hours of release on iTunes album. Frank Edwards who has had collaboration with top gospel artists in the world like Don Moen, and so on has won many awards as a gospel artist. Some of his songs include ‘’Oghene doh’’, ‘’Hallelujah’’, ‘’You Too Dey Bless Me’’, ‘’If God be for me’’, and so on.
- Victoria Orenze: If you really need to up your spiritual life then you have to listen to Victoria Orenze. She made her name when she collaborated with Nathaniel Bassey in the hit song ‘’Alagabada Ina’’. She hasn’t slowed down since then. She tends to bring down heaven through her music which always have a clear message on spirituality. Victoria Orenze has participated in several concerts, programmes and other events both home and abroad that is centered on worshipping God. Victoria Orenze sings in English language and her hit songs include ‘’On Fire’’, ‘’I want to see you’’, ‘’Draw’’, ‘’Alagbada Ina’’, and so on.
- Tope Alabi: If you really need to worship God in the Nigerian indigenous language then Tope Alabi stands out. She is a powerful vocalist and is known for her good command of Yoruba language; an attribute that has made her to be crowned by Nigerians on Twitter as the queen of Yoruba language. Her love for God has made many to move close to God. She has over 8 albums to her credit as a recording artist. She has featured in many worship events in the country and outside the country. Tope Alabi popular songs include ‘’Oluwa e tobi’’, ‘’Logan ti o de’’, ‘’Yes & Amen’’, ‘’Mimo l’oluwa’’ and so on.
- Sinach: Osinachi Joseph who is known by her stage name, Sinach is a Nigerian gospel music singer, songwriter, and senior worship leader at Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s Loveworld Christian Ministry. She is the first Nigerian gospel singer to obtain over 100 million views of a single video on YouTube. She achieved this great feat with her song titled ‘Way Maker’. She has participated in many worship concerts and crusades all over the world. In September 2019, she became the first Gospel artist from Africa to tour India, headlining concerts with several thousands in attendance. She is a recipient of many awards. Her popular songs include ‘’I know who I am’’, ‘’Way Maker’’, ‘’Great are you Lord’’, ‘’He did it again’’, and so on.
Other honorable mentions include Tim Godfrey, Mercy Chinwo, Joe Praize, Ada, Eben, Sammy Okposo, and several others.
Do share with us your top list of Nigerian gospel music singers in the comment section. Thanks for reading this piece.