Electrocution in Anambra
A mother and daughter have been killed through electrocution that happened because of a snap from a live wire. The 55 years old woman died along side her daughter around St Peter Clavers Junction, Nnewichi, Nnewi, in Anambra State.
The unfortunate event happened when the two victims were caught inside their iron made makeshift container shop, erected right under a power line.
According to a statement released by Head of Communication of Enugu Electricity Distribution Company, (EEDC), Emeka Ezeh, over the incident, it was described as unfortunate.
During the EEDC’s condolence visit to the family of the woman and her daughter, which had the company’s Head of Health, Safety and Environment, Francis Iwu as the lead, the accident that claimed the lives of the victims was avoidable.
While regretting the electrocution, Ezeh said it has again stressed the importance of the need for people to adhere to the enlightenments the company has done about the consequences of erecting structures, trading or carrying out business activities under the right-of-way of power lines.
He said, “ In this very incident that occurred in Anambra, the victim put up a makeshift shop made of a metallic container, directly under the Hight Tension (HT) line, which was why the victims were caught up and electrocuted.”
Ezeh said if the victims’ container was not directly under the snapping wire, their lives would have been saved by now.
While urging people to stop the dangerous act, he further explained that the power line Right-of-Way is the mapped out corridor for Distribution and Transmission power lines and it is not an area to erect structures of any kind.
There has been several incidents of electrocution in different parts of Nigeria especially about structures erected under power line Right-of-way, with government and power distribution companies raising alarm about the need for people to avoid staying in such areas.