The Ondo State council of the Nigeria Labour Congress, (NLC), has threatened to withdraw its members from providing essential services during the ongoing curfew imposed by the state by Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu.
In a statement signed by the Ondo NLC Chairman, Oluwole Adeleye Sunday and Secretary, Shado Festus Omokehinde, the body regretted the way security officers maltreat and assault of its members who are risking their lives for the good of the state residents.
“The Nigeria Labour Congress, Ondo State Council is taken aback by the alleged brutality of one of our members who was returning from duty as a staff of the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), Akure, Jide Bello.”
“The Congress gathered that the staff when accosted identified himself properly with the show of his official I’D card and another letter introducing him as an official on essential duty. In flagrant disregard to these protocols, the irresponsible officer went ahead and brutalised the young man.”
“With the evidence before the Congress and a personal visit of the Congress Secretary to the hospital where the victim is currently admitted, a medical report has it that he has developed a High Blood Pressure as a result of the beating he received from the army officer.”
“It is unfortunate that the young man and his family is just recovering from the shock of the explosion of last month where his house was badly affected and even the ceiling of the house fell on his baby.”
In a statement tagged: Brutality of Worker: Ondo NLC Threatens Withdrawal of Essential Service, the body made demands for the protection of its members.
“Arising from the above, therefore, Congress is constrained to place the following demands;”
- That the state government should foot the hospital bill of the victim.
- That the officer be arrested and made to face disciplinary actions.
- That a letter of apology be written to the victim and also to NTA.
- That officers/officials on essential duty/duties will be spared and given immunity of passage throughout the period of the curfew.
- That any further report of molestation, harassment and ill-treatment of any member on essential duty will be resisted appropriately.
- Failure to comply with the above, the Congress shall order the immediate withdrawal of services of essential workers at all government-owned media outfits and other agencies in the state. A stitch in time saves nine.
It would be recalled that both the Federal and state governments gave exceptions to essential service providers amidst the lockdown and curfew imposed to avoid outrageous community spreading of the Coronavirus.