The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu has revealed that footage from the Lekki Toll Gate shows that the men of the Nigerian Army are responsible for the shooting of peaceful EndSARS demonstrators. During an interview with CNN, the governor said some cameras were at the facility.
However, a human rights lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria Femi Falana had earlier revealed that a group he oversees, Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 And Beyond (ASCAB) had identified the barracks where officers of the military who shot protesters at the Lagos Lekki Toll Plaza proceeded from.
Though the Nigerian Army has denied being responsible for the Lekki shootings, the federal government said it would collaborate with the Lagos state government to investigate the tragic incident.
Meanwhile, Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday commended the youths in the state over what he described as their coming together to select Rinu Oduala and Majekodunmi Temitope to join the Lagos Judicial Panel On the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS. Sawnwo-Olu described the panel as part of the commitment of his administration to justice and compensation for victims of Police brutality.
He further revealed that the scope of the panel has been expanded to cover the Lekki toll incident noting that memoranda can be submitted through the panel’s email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In a statement titled Judicial Panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS related abuses and Lekki toll gate incident, the governor said the days of sitting for the panel would be Tuesday, Friday and Saturday between 10am to 4 pm at the Lagos Court of Arbitration located at Lekkki Expressway, Lagos.
Earlier, Governors and Ministers from the South West had paid a solidarity visit to Lagos over the recent incidents in the state. During the visit, Sanwo-Olu thanked them for taking time out to commiserate with the Lagos state government.