If you’re a lover of Nigerian music then you must have heard of Barry Jhay. He is one of the fast-rising talents doing great things in the music industry at the moment. Barry Jhay’s genre of music is known as ‘Afro-Fuji’ which is a blend of Afro-pop and Fuji has really been making waves. The singer has blessed our listening ears with numerous vibes which made him the 2O19 Headies Rookie Award winner. He’s considered as one of the best vocalists today.
A Short Biography of Barry Jhay
Barry Jhay with the real name Oluwakayode Junior Balogun is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He was born and bred in Ayeye, Ibadan, Oyo State. The sonorous voice artist is a son to the late creator of Fuji music; Sikiru Ayinde Barrister of blessed memory. He’s currently signed to Cash Nation record label.
He has once said he doesn’t want to make music because of the black power associated with the art while growing up but his late father advised he won’t survive without doing music. Today, Barry Jhay is one of the fast-rising talents out there. The prolific and creative songster who sings majorly in his native Yoruba language has been trying to make an impression in the Nigerian music scene.
Asides winning the Headies 2019 Rookies Award where he beat the likes of Crayon, Oxlade and Boju, he has also won the Best New Act of the Year at City People Music Award and also got the nomination for Most Promising Act of the Year at City People Music Award.
Top 5 Barry Jhay’s Song
The singer who took to his father’s dying wish has released many songs out of which 5 have been selected to make your day. Here are the songs in no particular order:
- Aiye: Although he has released few songs before he released this particular song, it was ‘Aiye’ that really gave him the breakthrough. In his native Yoruba language, the singer gave some words of wisdom in the lyrical content that got people singing along and won him some awards. Produced by Anthrax, you will also bounce to the beats as Barry Jhay drops his punch lines in this masterpiece.
- Normal Level: The singer builds on the recognition he got from his previous work to deliver this hit. Rendered in both Yoruba language and Pidgin English with an Urhobo introduction, ‘Normal Level’ also comes with some wise sayings and advice from Barry Jhay. A quotable lyric from the song says ‘You don’t need to chop somebody to become somebody’. This is just a bit of messages passed in his music.
- Melanin:‘See, I’m in Love with this African woman I don’t know’ Barry Jhay sings in the song’s intro. This particular track is dedicated to African women and its also a hit. You just have to listen to this song and feel the rhythm.
- Ayo Ni Temi:This particular one has an element of prayers. In the Barry Jhay’s Afro-Fuji style, the singer delivered as usual in ‘Ayo Ni Temi’ which is translated as ‘Joy is mine’. You will definitely feel good listening to this one.
- Oga Ra:The singer started year 2020 in grand style with the release of ‘Oga ra’. This particular song has been massively played on radios and TVs. Barry Jhay surely have the message in his music and this isn’t an exception. In his signature sonorous voice and proverbial lyrical content, the singer and songwriter make sure you know his style is ‘oga ra gan’ meaning ‘it’s too much’. The visuals shot by TG Omori will definitely make you like this particular song more; it is top notch.
You just have to update your playlist if you don’t have these top songs from Barry Jhay. Do share your thought with us on this piece in the comment section. Thanks for reading this piece.