Given the extension of the lockdown in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Enforcement Team says no fewer than 500 persons have been convicted for contravening the stay-at-home order.
Leader of FCTA Enforcement Team on Movement Restrictions, Ikharo Attah, made this known at an interactive session with journalists on Thursday in Abuja.
Mr Attah frowned at the continuous violation of the lockdown order by FCT residents and some religious leaders.
Abuja Enforcement Team Convicts Over 500 Lockdown Violators
He said most of the people convicted in the last three weeks were motorists.
Attah also appealed to the residents to stop undermining government’s efforts at curtailing the spread of COVID 19, saying that the killer virus is not a respecter of persons nor religions.
“Since the mobile courts started sitting, about 500 violators have been convicted so far.
“Many of them were fined and released after paying the fines because sending them to Correctional Centres would undermine the government’s efforts towards decongesting the centres.
“More so, many of the convicts were first time offenders.”
However, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Musa Bello has urged residents of the FCT to obey all laid down rules to fight against the virus.
He made the appeal in a tweet on his Twitter handle “I appreciate the frontline workers in the fight against the virus and I urge all residents to join in the fight by obeying all laid down measures which include observing social distancing, constant hand washing, observing stay-at-home directives and maintain respiratory hygiene”.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Governors Forum, NGF has agreed to a fourteen-day inter-state lockdown across the country as part of measures aimed at putting an end to the further spread of the virus.