Many people were surprised to know that famous Nigerian singer, Producer and Television presenter, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy is seventy years old.
However, his age became known to many of his fans on Friday, June 19, 2020, when the self-acclaimed Area Fada celebrated his 70th birthday.
Charles, who is the host of the Charly Boy Show and the former President of the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria is one of the most controversial entertainers in Nigeria.
In commemoration of his 70th birthday, Everyevery.ng has gathered seven facts about Charly boy.
Facts About Charly Boy
1. Charly Boy’s real age was known by his fans in 2011 during his sixtieth birthday as he often refused to reveal his date of birth before that time.
2. The energetic entertainer, who graduated with a degree in Communication in the United States of America had set out to become a priest but left seminary school after a year.
3. Charly Boy released a song titled Obodo Girigiri two years after he joined the music industry in 1982.
4. He earned the title His Royal Punkeness and named his Lagos residence The Punk Palace after he pioneered the punk movement, though the movement didnt last long.
5. In 1988, Charly Boy released a controversial Album titled 1990, the album was about the corruption in the military government in Nigeria, the album was one of Nigeria’s best-selling albums of 1988.
6. His show, The Charly Boy Show which featured his wife Diane Oputa, Stella Damasus, Mercy Oyebo, Tunde and Wunmi Obe and Patrick Doyle was launched on NTA Channel 5 and syndicated to other television stations across the country before it was cancelled in 2001.
7. Aside from singing and writing, Charly Boy is known for advocating for the rights of Nigerians and this has led to his torture on several occasions by the Nigerian police and the military, he has led the campaign for Nigerian Widows, the Fuel Subsidy protest in 2012 among others.
Charly Boy, who denied being a gay is married to a former fashion designer and African-American singer Diane for over thirty years.