If you’re looking for awesome vibes to make your Valentine’s day lovable then you have to update your playlist with these 5 Nigerian love songs. Nigerian artists have blessed us with great sounds to help us in fall in love, stay in love, and rekindle love when we tend to slip away. Gone are the days we look up to foreign music artists (Celion Dion, Westlife, Taylor Swift, Craig Davids and the rest) to give us goosebumps and butter fly feelings in music. Today, we can hold our partner’s heart in ransom with music in our language.
Many songs have been released from time past by Nigerians based on the theme of love. These Nigerian love songs rendered either in Pidgin English or our indigenous languages have travelled wide in our hearts. We cannot stop listening to these awesome vibes that tells our cupid stories. If you need to be romantic this Valentine’s day, then you have to listen to these 5 Nigerian love songs.
5 Nigerian Love Songs
Here are 5 of Nigerian love songs released in the past and the present (they have become evergreen) to help keep you in a romantic mood for your lover/partner on Valentine’s day. The songs are listed below in no particular order:
- If Love is a Crime (2face): This is one of the evergreen Nigerian love songs ever produced. 2face Idibia released this song under the stables of Kennis Music in 2006 and got outstanding reception from music fans all over. ‘If love is a crime, girl I want to be wanted’ this line is one of those words your partner needs to hear today. This melodious love song will definitely keep you on your toes for a romantic date.
- Count on You (Johnny Drille): Johnny Drille’s ‘Count on You’ will make you fall in love countless times. Released in 2019, this Nigerian love song will help fasten your heart for forever. Love is beautiful, it is more beautiful if you can sing this Nigerian love song for your lover today.
- Never Far Away (Lagbaja): This is one of the old and evergreen songs to make this list. ‘Never Far Away’ was released by Lagbaja off his 2005 album and it features her music partner ‘Ego’. This makes one of the classic Nigerian love songs for Valentine’s day. If you need a slow rhythm dance, then you have to have this particular song in the background. ‘Wherever I go, wherever you are, baby you are always on my mind’ is a quotable lyric from this classic.
- Ife Wa Gbona (Tiwa Savage ft. Leo Wonder): If you need to perform a duet with your lover, then this Nigerian love song is the ideal one for you. Nigerian music diva, Tiwa Savage gave many goosebumps and butterfly feelings with this classic. The love song is hotter with Leo Wonder who rendered the masculine part. Rendered in both Yoruba and English language, ‘Ife wa gbona’ is a love song you need for this day. Nothing is hotter than singing or playing this jam for your lover after having fun out there.
- Fall in Love (Dbanj): This is one of the classic Nigerian love songs released by ‘Kokomaster’ Dbanj in 2008. This melodious song produced by Don Jazzy under the stables of Mo’Hits records is one of the best love songs ever produced in this part of the world and won several awards. Let me give you a clue, all you have to do is copy and paste the song’s lyrics for your partner on Valentine’s day and thank me later. I like this part in the song lyrics, ‘See I use to lie to myself that I’ll always be a player, but since I set my eyes on you, omo you done make me fall in love’.
Other Nigerian love songs worthy of mention include Olo mi (Tosin Martins), Iyawo mi (Timi Dakolo), Smile for me (Simi), Aye (Davido), and Aduke (Tjan).
Do share with us your favorite Nigerian love song in the comment section. Thanks for taking time in reading this piece and Happy Valentine’s day to my readers.
Love you all.