The Nigerian movie industry known as Nollywood is one of the biggest movie industries in the world. Nigerian music stars have been featured in some of the Nollywood movies which have helped to grow the industry.
Movie producers in Nigeria have used music artists in the country to attract more viewers for their films. Some of these music stars have taken the acting skills to another level as they’ve done well for themselves in the fast-growing movie industry.
Veteran musicians such as King Sunny Ade, Onyeka Onwenu, and so on have acted in movies. These days, some of the Nigerian Hip-Hop artists have had lead roles or cameo appearances in Nollywood movies. It has now become a culture in the entertainment industry.
10 Nigerian Music Artists in Nollywood Movies
Here is a list of Nigerian music artists who have featured in Nollywood movies. They are listed in no particular order;
- Banky W: Bankole Wellington is one of Nigeria’s most talented singers. The R’n’B singer has done well for himself since releasing his first single titled ‘Ebute-Metta’; a cover of Rihanna’s Umbrella. The EME record label boss is now a graduate of a music school in the United States and has now directed & featured in some Nollywood movies. Banky W featured in movies such as ‘Wedding Party 1 & 2’, ‘Up North’ and so on.
- Falz: Folarin Falana aka FalzTheBahdguy is a top act in the Nigerian music industry. Falz the rapper is also Falz the actor. Since featuring in ‘Jenifa’s Diary’ where he won an AMVCA award, the talented son of lawyer, Femi Falana has featured in several movies which include ‘Chief Daddy’, ‘Merry Men Part 1 & 2’ and so on.
- 2baba: Legendary music artist, Innocent Idibia aka 2baba is undoubtedly one of the biggest artists in Africa. 2baba’s ‘African Queen’ song was used in a Hollywood movie titled ‘Fat Girls’, the Benue-born music star himself as featured in Nollywood movies among which Kanayo O Kanayo’s ‘Professor Johnbull’.
- Reminisce: Remilekun Safaru popularly known as Reminisce featured in one of the biggest Nollywood movies today titled ‘King of Boys’. In his debut movie appearance, Reminisce showed his acting skills alongside top Nollywood acts such as Sola Sobowale, Adesua Etomi-Wellington, Jide Kosoko and so on.
- Illbliss: Goretti Music boss, Illbliss just like Reminisce had his debut appearance in the star-studded ‘King of Boys’ movie in a lead role. ‘Oga Boss’ as he’s fondly called is one of the top music stars to have featured in Nollywood movies.
- Phyno: Nigerian rapper, Chibuzor Azubuike Nelson aka Phyno joined the list of Nigerian music stars to have featured in Nollywood movies. The ‘Obago’ crooner featured in Genevieve Nnaji’s ‘Lion Heart’ movie which was the first Nigerian movie on Netflix. Phyno acted as Genevieve’s younger brother in the 2018 movie.
- Peter Okoye: Just like Phyno, Peter Okoye also known as Rudeboy featured in ‘Lion Heart’. It was the debut appearance of the other half of the Psquare brothers and he played the character ‘Arinze’. Another music star in the blockbuster movie is veteran musician, Onyeka Onwenu.
- Olamide: Nigerian indigenous rapper, Olamide Baddo is another Nigerian music star to have featured in Nollywood movies. He had his movie debut in a DJ Tee directed movie titled ‘Osun Funke’ in 2013 and also have a cameo appearance in Ayo Makun’s ‘A Trip to Jamaica’ alongside other music stars like Cynthia Morgan and Patoranking.
- 9ice: Another music veteran in the list of music artists to have featured in Nollywoood movies is Abolore Akande professionally known as 9ice. The ‘Gongo Aso’ singer featured in Laide Bakare’s movie titled ‘Jejere’ in a lead role where he acted as a husband and father.
- Teni: ‘Billionaire’ crooner, Teniola Apata completes this list of music stars to have featured in Nollywood movies. The multiple-award singer and songwriter made her debut in the movie titled ‘Dear Affy’ where she starred alongside Nollywood stars such as Kehinde Bankole, Timini Egbuson, Williams Uchemba, Toyin Abraham, Odunlade Adekola, and so on.
Do share your thoughts on this piece in the comment section. Thanks for reading this piece.