Naby Keita left AFCON to undergo medical Checkup in Liverpool

Naby Keita was reported to have left the camp of Guinea to undergo a medical checkup in Liverpool. The Liverpool midfielder picked up the injury during their Africa Cup of Nations’ match against Nigeria on Wednesday which they lost 1-0. Keita was however replaced by Lass Bangoura in the 70th minutes. The Liverpool midfielder due to the injury was an unused substitute in Guinea’s win over Burundi on Sunday in Egypt. Following the setback, Keita has reported back to Liverpool to examine the extent of his injury. According to the Foot224 reporter, Keita decided to go for the thorough examination as the fell leaves a continuing pain in his thigh. He’s, however, expected to rejoin his teammates at Cairo in three days’ time.

Keita left AFCON

Moving on, Amadou Makadji a Journalist, reported that the midfielder left the team’s hotel on Sunday evening and boarded a private jet to Liverpool. In a pre-match interview with the Guinea coach, Paul Put, before the Nigeria match, he claimed: “If Naby Keita is 100 percent ready, we will not hesitate to start with him, but it depends on him too. “You know he had an injury. It was not known if he would participate in the AFCON. We’ve done everything to prepare Naby”. “He trains at 200 percent. I think he is physically ready. If he’s mentally ready, I think he’ll start the game.”

Keita in AFCON

Furthermore, the Liverpool midfielder sustained an adductor injury in May during their Champions League match against Barcelona in Spain which the lost 3-0. He also missed out in the last four games of the season. The injury, however, brought uncertainty over the players’ participation at the AFCON in Egypt, with Liverpool Coach initially ruling the midfielder out for “at least two months.” When he said that, “It’s bad news for us and bad news for Guinea as well because the Africa Cup of Nations is coming up,”.

However, Keita’s fitness improved before the estimated time, but it still left the Guinea head Coach Paul Put to still pressurize Liverpool to send him urgently. The 24 years old made his first appearance in almost two months at the final half-hour in their game with Madagascar as Group B kicked off where the drew 2-2, but made his first start against Nigeria on Wednesday. Liverpool FC will definitely not take the news of the player returning back for check-up lightly due to his being rushed in to play when he’s still recovering from the adductor injury he had at the start of May. Despite been ruled out of the AFCON by Liverpool’s head Coach Jürgen Klopp however, Guinea coach Paul Put revealed he had mounted “a lot of pressure” on Liverpool to allow the player participate in the tournament.