Foreign

Ebola in Congo reaches record number per day

The Ebola outbreak in Congo has reached a grim milestone, with 27 new cases confirmed in a single day. A record for the current outbreak. The outbreak has proven difficult to bring under control because of community mistrust and violent attacks on health care workers.

The World Health Organization said 27 new confirmed cases had been reported Sunday. The most in a single day since the outbreak started in August. Similarly, 126 new cases had been reported in the week ending April 28, the highest weekly total since Ebola took hold in the country.

“The increase in the number of new cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo remains deeply concerning.”

According to the latest figures from the Congo health ministry, the total number of confirmed cases is 1,429 and 66 probable ones. In total, 984 people have died since the outbreak began, while 415 people have been cured.

WHO said that violence by armed militias, limited health care resources and difficult-to-access locations meant this “outbreak is taking place in one of the most challenging circumstances ever confronted by WHO.”

Last month, WHO epidemiologist Dr. Richard Mouzoko was killed by armed men while he and colleagues were working in Butembo, a province grappling with a long-term conflict and dozens of armed groups causing intermittent violence.

“Dr. Mouzoko’s death moved me profoundly. I am also profoundly worried about the situation. Cases are increasing because of violent acts that set us back each time.” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement this week after a visit to Butembo.

The attack took place during a coordination meeting being held at the hospital Mouzoko was working at.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
We would like to show you notifications for the latest news and updates.
Dismiss
Allow Notifications