Supreme Court has given the go-ahead for Copa America to start. According to reports, the court says the tournament will kick start on Sunday, with Brazil hosting it after it was taken from Argentina due to the Civil crisis in Argentina.
Judges held a closed-door emergency meeting on Thursday to consider requests to stop the tournament because of the global pandemic coronavirus. They argued that hosting the tournament would put lots of lives at risk as people will want to troop in to watch the matches.
Copa America Can Start, Supreme Court Gives Go Ahead
The judges said that the Brazilian constitution did not give the court the power to block it, and so the competition can go on. But they said that state governors and city mayors should do their best to ensure “appropriate health protocols” are taken and are followed strictly.
They also expressed their disappointment at President Jair Bolsonaro, who came out at the very last minute to say the competition should be played without fans in stadiums. Every player must partake in mandatory testing every 48 hours.
Their movements will be restricted, and they will travel to host cities aboard chartered flights. The tournament, postponed from 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic, was original to have been staged in Colombia and Argentina.
Brazil players who complained earlier that they are not happy that they would host the Copa America without asking them first have admitted that they will play, but they are not satisfied with the decision. The host nation Brazil has recorded more than 475,000 deaths to coronavirus, which is the second-highest number in the world after the US, which is one reason the players are not happy with the decision them hosting it.